9) b. Read the sentences. Find one thing that’s wrong in each sentence and correct it.
1. Joel thinks his dad is enthusiastic about sports.
2. Joel’s dad finished the marathon, and Joel was impressed with his time.
3. No other runner was slower than Joel’s dad.
4. Pete thinks he is a better runner than Joel’s dad.
5. Debbie and Pete think it’s ridiculous to run a marathon in seven hours.
1. Joel does not think that his father is fond of sports.
2. Joel’s father finished the marathon, and Joel was not impressed by his time.
3. No other runner was slower than Papa Joel.
4. Pete doesn’t think he’s a better runner than Joel’s father.
5. Debbie and Pete consider the absurd marathon in seven hours.
10) a. Find the expressions 1-6 in the story. Who says them?
1. …that sort of thing.
2. Guess what?
3. We’re talking about…
4. … an awful lot of…
5. That’s not the point.
6. At the end of the day…
b. Complete the dialogue with the phrases 1-6 in Exercise 10a.
Allie: Hey Steve. Guess what? I just saw a new Coldplay DVD in the shop. It costs forty pounds.
Steve: Really? Well, I’m not going to buy it. Allie: What!? Steve, … Coldplay here — one of your favorite bands!
Steve: I know. But … , Allie. Don’t you remember? My father lost his job. I can’t spend money on CDs, DVDs and ⁴… . ⁵… forty pounds is ⁶… money.
Allie: Oh, yes, I’m sorry. I forgot.